Global Hotkeys and Zoom
Between Jan. and mid-March 2020, Zoom usage increased by 67% during the pandemic according to Apptopia. If you're looking for ways to get the most out of your Zoom meetings, hotkeys are a great place to start.
Hotkeys and shortcuts save time as you work and allow you to perform functions more efficiently. For example, you can use your mouse to copy and paste text, but using a keyboard shortcut like “command-c” and “command-v” enables you to cut your task time in half. Every computer has hotkeys as does each application, like Zoom.
*Scroll down to learn how to enable Zoom Global Hotkeys and view iOS Zoom hotkeys for iPad.
Shortcuts & Hotkeys
In computing, a hotkey or keyboard shortcut is a combination of keyboard keys that, when pressed at the same time, quickly activate a preprogrammed function. Some might debate that a ‘shortcut’ and a ‘hotkey’ are two different things. A Shortcut implies an intuitive, but more elaborate way to perform the action (like navigating through a menu). Whereas a Hotkey generalizes actions that can only be performed with that keypress. The difference is subtle, if non-existent. In general, these two terms are interchangeable and we’ll use them interchangeably throughout this blog.
There are three main ways Hotkey actions are created:
- A hotkey action may be standard to an operating system (Ex. iOS or Microsoft).
- A hotkey action may be standard to an application program (Ex Adobe Illustrator).
- A user (aka you) might write their own specific keyboard shortcuts to optimize and personalize a workflow. This is not common as doing requires knowledge of a scripting language and programming skills to communicate between programs.
Here are a few examples of hotkeys you’re probably already familiar with:
*For iOS replace Ctrl with the Command key.
Operating System level shortcuts
- Ctrl-Alt-Del - closes an application or turns off your computer (use the shortcut once to select an application or process you want to end, twice to shut down the computer).
- Alt-Tab - alternates between windows that are open on the desktop.
- Shift-Del - deletes an item permanently (this item does NOT go to the Recycle Bin).
These shortcuts are particularly useful for text processing and file management activities.
- Ctrl-S - save
- Ctrl-O - open
- Ctrl-N - new
- Ctrl-C - copy
- Ctrl-V - paste
- Ctrl-X - cut
- Ctrl-Z - undo
- Ctrl-A - select all
- Ctrl-I - make italic (this is italic)
- Ctrl-B - make bold (this is bold)
- Ctrl-U - underline (this is underlined)
- Ctrl-Right Arrow - move the cursor to the start of the next word
- Ctrl-Left Arrow - move the cursor to the start of the previous word
- Ctrl-Down Arrow - move the cursor to the start of the next paragraph
- Ctrl-Up Arrow - move the cursor to the start of the previous paragraph
Global vs Local Hotkeys
A global hotkey is like any other hotkey function except that global hotkey commands can be executed in any application or window. For example, take the hotkeys to cut (ctrl+x) and paste (ctrl+v). It doesn’t matter if you’re in Word, Excel, a browser, or desktop. Pressing the cut/paste keyboard combinations will execute the command just the same regardless of the application.
Local hotkeys, on the other hand, are application specific. They only work in their designated applications, and only if the application is open and in focus. For example, Ctrl + T will open up a new tab in Chrome, but in Word, it creates a hanging indent. You can search specific applications for a list of local hotkeys and how to use or customize them.
Hotkeys and Shortcuts for Zoom
With Zoom hotkeys, you can manage your meetings and settings with just a few keyboard clicks. You can quickly switch to active speaker mode, jump into a chat with someone, or turn your screen sharing on and off.
View a complete list of Zoom Hotkeys here: HotKeys and Keyboard Shortcuts for Zoom
Although Zoom hotkeys are handy, remembering every Zoom shortcut when you want to it is not an easy task. That’s why we’ve created a simple tool that lets you make the most of your video calls, the PowerBx Zapp Pad. This hotkey pad for Zoom takes the confusion out of video conferencing and makes managing your Zoom calls easy. You can connect Zapp Pad to any bluetooth enabled device to access all your Zoom hotkeys in one place.
Whether you’re using the PowerBx Zapp Pad for your video call or manual keyboard shortcuts, all Zoom hotkeys will work the same.
Enabling Global Shortcuts in Zoom
Some Zoom hotkeys can be used as global shortcuts, which means they’ll work even when Zoom is not in focus. Global hotkeys are perfect for those times where you're in the middle of a presentation or classroom session and working in another program at the same time as your video call. Follow these steps to view and edit keyboard shortcuts in your Accessibility settings:
- Sign in to the Zoom Meetings desktop client.
Click your profile picture then click Settings.
- Click Keyboard Shortcuts.
To Enable Global Shortcut, check the option next to the shortcut.
iOS Zoom Shortcuts
Not all Zoom hotkeys are available on an iPad, but many of the common ones are. If you are using an iPad with a keyboard, the following shortcuts are available for your Zoom meetings:
- Command + Shift + A: Mute/unmute my audio
- Command + Shift + V: Start/stop my video
- Command + Shift + H: Display/hide chat
- Command + Shift + M: Minimize meeting
- Command + U: Display/hde manage participants
- Command + W: Close the front window, such as the participants or meeting settings window
You can utilize all of the above hotkeys with the PowerBx Zapp Pad and a few more! The following Zapp Pad keys will work with your iPad:
- View - Shrink and Enlarge Viewing Window
- Camera - Turn on/off camera
- Capture - Screen capture active view
- Mute - Mute and un mute your microphone
- Chat - Show and hide in-meeting chat panel
- Participants - Display and hide participants panel
- End - Closes Screen (ie participants), doesn't end meeting
Explore PowerBx Zapp Pad to save time, feel confident, and take control of any meeting with quick access hotkeys. Power your experience working from home, the office, or anywhere with Zapp Pad!